Liverpool: Stats Preview 17/18 - Newcastle United (Home)
A selection of the key facts, figures and statistics ahead of the home fixture with Newcastle United...
Another Premier League outing for Liverpool FC is fast approaching and, as per usual, we've been trawling the record books to bring you all the facts, figures and statistics you need to know.
The Merseysiders welcome an increasingly hard-to-beat Newcastle United, managed by popular former boss Rafa Benitez, to Anfield on Saturday.
Here's what caught our eye:
• Liverpool and Newcastle have contested 174 competitive matches during their respective histories with Liverpool leading overall courtesy of 82 wins to 50 defeats and 42 draws (source: 11v11.com).
• Liverpool have won only one of the past five meetings (D2, L2), and none of the most recent three (D2, L1) despite taking the lead on the last two occasions.
• There hasn't been a goalless draw between these two since February 1974. In the Premier League era Liverpool and Newcastle have met 45 times.
• Of the 41 Premier League fixtures to have been staged 40 or more times, Newcastle against Liverpool has seen the most goals per game on average (140 at an average of 3.11).
• All three of Benitez's previous matches against Liverpool since departing the Anfield hotseat in June 2010 - with Chelsea in April 2013 and Newcastle in April 2016 and October 2017 - have ended in draws. The Spaniard also defeated the Reds twice when manger of Valencia back in 2002.
• Liverpool are undefeated in their last 16 home Premier League matches dating back to a 2-1 reversal to Crystal Palace in April 2017.
• The 4-1 win over West Ham United last weekend means Liverpool (103) have become the second Premier League team to score 100-plus goals in all competitions this season after Manchester City (111).
• Only Manchester City (twice) and Chelsea have beaten Newcastle in their last 12 league and cup outings dating back to mid December. In the league, despite being just two points above the bottom three, the Magpies have won 3, drawn 5 and lost 2 of their last 10 fixtures.
• Last time out, in a 2-2 draw with AFC Bournemouth, the Geordies bagged two first-half goals away from home for the first time in the Premier League since March 2014 against Hull City.
• Failure to hold on to the three points saw Benitez's side fail to win a Premier League game after being two goals up at half-time for the first time since February 2012 (a 2-2 draw against Wolverhampton Wanderers).
• Roberto Firmino has netted 22 goals in all competitions this term, equalling the most productive campaign of his career, which was recorded at Hoffenheim back in 2014.
• Mohamed Salah has been directly involved in 31 Premier League goals this season (23 goals, eight assists), more than any other player in the top-flight.
• Dwight Gayle, who has scored four times versus Liverpool previously, ended a run of 11 Premier League appearances without a goal against the Cheries.
17/18 Premier League Form
Last six matches
Liverpool (3rd): WLWDWW
Newcastle United (15th): DLDDWD
Vital Liverpool predicts a 3-1 LFC win
So that's what the stats say, what do you think? Let us know your thoughts on the game below or vote in our poll...
Click here to check out the early team news
Click here to find out who will be officiating
Follow me on Twitter @superbag
|At Vital Liverpool we're always looking for contributors so if you're an LFC fan who wants to share his or her opinion with the masses, simply email articles/blogs to firstname.lastname@example.org|