Liverpool: Stats Preview 17/18 - Southampton (Away)
A selection of the key facts, figures and statistics ahead of the away fixture with Southampton...
Another Premier League outing for Liverpool FC is fast approaching and, as per usual, we've been trawling the record books to bring you all the facts, figures and statistics you need to know.
Sunday will see the Reds travelling to a struggling Southampton side who have had the upper hand over them on a number of occasions in recent season.
Here's what caught our eye:
• Liverpool and Southampton have contested 107 competitive matches during their respective histories with Liverpool leading overall courtesy of 52 wins to 30 defeats and 25 draws (source: 11v11.com).
• Liverpool's 3-0 win over the Saints at Anfield in November ended a run of five league and cup meetings without a victory (D2, L3).
• The Merseysiders had failed to even score in the four previous encounters with both Premier League fixtures during the period ending in goalless draws.
• The 0-0 at St Mary's in November 2016 is the only draw between the two held at Southampton since August 2000, with the other ten league and cup matches staged seeing six wins for the home side and four for Liverpool.
• Liverpool have scored at least two goals in eight of their last nine top-flight matches and there have been over 2.5 goals scored in eight of their last nine away games.
• Southampton's 3-2 win at West Bromwich Albion last weekend was their first in the Premier League in 13 attempts and moved them out of the relegation zone (D7, L5).
• Mauricio Pellegrino's side have failed to win their last six Premier League home matches dating back to November (D4, L2).
• Mohamed Salah's double in the 2-2 draw with Tottenham Hotspur last time out has taken his involvement in Premier League goals this term to 27 in 25 appearances (21 goals and six assists). The tally equals the Premier League record for a players' first 25 games for a new club set previously by Andrew Cole, Alan Shearer (both Newcastle United) and Dwight Yorke (Manchester Utd).
• Ex-Juventus player Mario Lemina, who scored his first ever Premier League goal for the Saints at the Hawthorns, is the third player from Gabon to score a goal in the competition after Daniel Cousin (Hull City) and Didier Ndong (Sunderland).
17/18 Premier League Form
Last six matches
Southamptom (15th): DLDDDW
Liverpool (3rd): WWWLWD
Vital Liverpool predicts a 1-1 draw
So that's what the stats say, what do you think? Let us know your thoughts on the game below or vote in our poll...
Click here to check out the early team news
Click here to find out who will be officiating
Follow me on Twitter @superbag
|At Vital Liverpool we're always looking for contributors so if you're an LFC fan who wants to share his or her opinion with the masses, simply email articles/blogs to firstname.lastname@example.org|