Liverpool: Stats Preview 17/18 - Manchester United (Home)
A selection of the key facts, figures and statistics ahead of Liverpool's 2017/18 Premier League home fixture with Manchester United...
Another Premier League outing for Liverpool FC is fast approaching and, as per usual, we've been trawling the record books to bring you all the facts, figures and statistics you need to know about it.
Saturday lunchtime will see the Reds return to action after the recent international break with the smaller matter of a visit from bitter rivals Manchester United.
The hosts are already seven points behind their opponents and fellow pacesetters Manchester City and cannot really afford to lose any further ground if they have any genuine title aspirations.
Here's what caught our eye:
• Liverpool and Manchester United have contested 227 competitive matches during their respective histories with Liverpool trailing overall courtesy of 75 wins to 87 defeats and 65 draws (source: 11v11.com).
• Both meetings last season ended with honours even - 0-0 at Anfield and 1-1 at Old Trafford.
• Liverpool have beaten United only once in the last eight league and cup meetings - a last 16 Europa League first leg tie in March 2016.
• The Merseysiders last bettered their adversaries in the league in March 2014 with United responding by doing the double over Liverpool in both the 2014/15 and 2015/16 campaigns.
• Adding the two draws last term, Liverpool are winless in six Premier League games against United (D2, L4), their worst run since an eight-match winless run against the Red Devils between 2004 and 2008.
• United have won three of their last five Premier League visits to Anfield (D1, L1) and have kept clean sheets in the last two.
• Jose Mourinho's side have kept 17 clean sheets in the Premier League during 2017, including in eight of their last nine league outings, three more than any other side.
• If United win this game, it'll be their best ever points tally after eight games of a Premier League season (22), following 20-point hauls in both 2011/12 and 1999/00.
• Liverpool are undefeated in 28 of their last 30 top-flight home matches.
• Kop boss Jürgen Klopp has lost just one of his seven competitive meetings with Mourinho as a manager (W3, D3).
• Summer arrival Romelu Lukaku became the second player to score seven goals in his first seven Premier League appearances for Man Utd last time out, following in the footsteps of Andrew Cole. No player has scored eight goals in their first eight Premier League appearances for the club.
• The former Everton frontman scored four goals in his first four Premier League matches against Liverpool, but has since netted just once in his last seven. He has even failed to land a shot on target in five of those seven games.
17/18 Premier League Form
last six matches
Liverpool (8th): WWLDWD
Manchester United (2nd): WWDWWW
Vital Liverpool predicts a 2-2 draw
So that's what the stats say, what do you think? Let us know your thoughts on the game below or vote in our poll...
Click here to check out the team news
Click here to find out who will be officiating
Follow me on Twitter @superbag
|At Vital Liverpool we're always looking for contributors so if you're an LFC fan who wants to share his or her opinion with the masses, simply email articles/blogs to email@example.com|