Liverpool: Stats Preview 17/18 - Newcastle United (Away)
A selection of the key facts, figures and statistics ahead of Liverpool's 2017/18 Premier League trip to Newcastle United...
Another Premier League outing for Liverpool FC is fast approaching and, as per usual, we've been trawling the record books to bring you all the facts, figures and statistics you need to know about it.
Sunday sees the Reds visit former manager Rafa Benitez's Newcastle United hoping to build on last weekend's 3-2 victory at Leicester City.
Here's what caught our eye:
• Liverpool and Newcastle have contested 173 competitive matches during their respective histories with Liverpool leading overall courtesy of 82 wins to 50 defeats and 41 draws (source: 11v11.com).
• The outcomes of recent meetings between the two have been far more even with two wins apiece and two draws in the last six.
• Liverpool failed to win either of the two meetings in 2015/16 when the Magpies were last in the Premier League - losing 2-0 at St James' Park and drawing 2-2 at Anfield.
• The Reds also lost away to Newcastle the previous season, again without scoring (1-0).
• This fixture has never seen a goalless draw in 44 previous stagings during the Premier League era - the only fixture during that time that has seen more matches without a 0-0 scoreline is Newcastle vs. Tottenham Hotspur (45).
• Of the 41 Premier League fixtures to have been staged 40 or more times, Newcastle against Liverpool has seen the most goals per game on average (138 goals in 44 games at an average of 3.14).
• Liverpool won only one of the six matches they played in all competitions during September (D3, L2), despite mustering a combined 126 shots (34 on target, 7 goals) compared to just 49 from their opponents (30 on target, 13 goals).
• Encouragingly the Reds are unbeaten in their last 23 Premier League matches in the month of October (W13, D10) dating back to a 2-0 defeat to Everton in October 2010.
• There have been over 2.5 goals scored in Liverpool's last four away Premier League games with Jürgen Klopp's side conceding at least 2 goals in three of the four.
• Newcastle are one of three Premier League clubs that Klopp has faced and is yet to register a victory against, Manchester United and Southampton are the others.
• Both of Benitez's previous matches against his former club have ended in 2-2 draws - with Chelsea in April 2013 and Newcastle in April 2016.
• The Champions League winning Spaniard won 134 points in his opening 74 Premier League games as Liverpool manager. Klopp has won one point more in his first 74 league games as Reds' boss (135).
• Daniel Sturridge has scored five goals against the Geordies as a Liverpool player and seven overall - the most he has registered against any one team during his career.
• Mohamed Salah has scored in four of his six league appearances for Liverpool so far (four goals). No player has ever scored in five of their first seven Premier League games for the club.
17/18 Premier League Form
Newcastle United (10th): LLWWWL
Liverpool (5th): DWWLDW
Vital Liverpool predicts a 0-3 LFC win
So that's what the stats say, what do you think? Let us know your thoughts on the game below or vote in our poll...
Click here to check out the team news
Click here to find out who will be officiating
Follow me on Twitter @superbag
|At Vital Liverpool we're always looking for contributors so if you're an LFC fan who wants to share his or her opinion with the masses, simply email articles/blogs to firstname.lastname@example.org|