Liverpool: Stats Preview 17/18 - Man City (Away)
A selection of the key facts, figures and statistics ahead of Liverpool's 2017/18 Premier League fixture at Manchester City...
Another Premier League outing for Liverpool FC is fast approaching and, as per usual, we've been trawling the record books to bring you all the facts, figures and statistics you need to know about it.
This weekend sees the Reds travel to a big-spending Manchester City side who are many people's favourites to lift their third league title in seven years. Both sides are currently undefeated after three league fixtures.
Here's what caught our eye:
• Liverpool and Manchester City have contested 206 competitive matches during their respective histories with Liverpool comfortably leading overall courtesy of 101 wins to 53 defeats and 52 draws (source: 11v11.com).
• Liverpool are unbeaten in the past five Premier League meetings, winning four and drawing one.
• Whereas the Reds regularly have the upper hand at Anfield, recent matches at the Etihad Stadium have produced mixed results with two wins apiece and two draws in the last six league and cup meetings staged there.
• Liverpool have lost just one of their 22 Premier League matches against a team that finished in the top seven of the competition last season since Jürgen Klopp took charge in October 2015 (W12, D9, L1).
• That was at Anfield to Manchester United in January 2016 meaning Klopp's away record during the period is unblemished (P9, W5, D4, L0).
• City pose a severe threat to the run having lost just one of their last 23 home Premier League matches (W13, D9, L1).
• Although the free-flowing Merseysiders can take solace from the fact the Citizens have only kept a clean sheet in six of those games.
• City frontman Sergio Aguero has scored in all five of his Premier League appearances against Liverpool at the Etihad, netting once in each.
• Strike colleague Gabriel Jesus has been directly involved in 12 goals in his 11 Premier League starts for Man City (eight goals, four assists).
• Although unlikely to start after his flirtations with Barcelona over the summer, Liverpool star Philippe Coutinho has scored four times in six league appearances against City - more goals than he has managed against any other opposition.
• Sadio Mané has scored in each of his last four Premier League appearances and has seven goals in his last nine appearances overall.
• Since swapping City for Liverpool, James Milner has been involved in three goals in four league matches against his former club (two goals, one assist).
17/18 Premier League Form
Manchester City (4th): WDW
Liverpool (2nd): DWW
Vital Liverpool predicts a 2-2 draw
So that's what the stats say, what do you think? Let us know your thoughts on the game below or vote in our poll...
Click here to check out the team news
Click here to find out who will be officiating
Follow me on Twitter @superbag
|At Vital Liverpool we're always looking for contributors so if you're an LFC fan who wants to share his or her opinion with the masses, simply email articles/blogs to email@example.com|