Liverpool: Stats Preview 17/18 - Crystal Palace (Home)
A selection of the key facts, figures and statistics ahead of Liverpool's first 2017/18 Premier League home fixture against Crystal Palace...
Another competitive outing for Liverpool FC looms so, as per usual, we've been trawling the record books to bring you all the facts, figures and statistics you need to know about it.
This weekend sees the Reds welcome regular Anfield nemesis Crystal Palace to L4 with both teams eager to record their first win of the new season.
Here's what caught our eye:
• Liverpool and Crystal Palace have contested 49 competitive matches during their respective histories with Liverpool leading overall courtesy of 24 wins to 14 defeats and 11 draws (source: 11v11.com).
• Palace have won the last three Premier League meetings at Anfield on the bounce, most recently by a 2-1 scoreline in April. Should they win again on Saturday they will become the first away team since Arsenal in December 1935 to win four top-flight games in a row at the ground.
• Conversely Liverpool have won the last three matches held at Selhurst Park, two in the league and one in the FA Cup.
• Liverpool emerged 2-0 victors when these two met last month in the Premier League Asia Trophy in Hong Kong.
• There has not been a goalless league draw between the Reds and the Eagles since December 1994.
• Both teams have found the back of the net in each of the last 10 meetings in all competitions, averaging 3.9 goals per game.
• Liverpool haven't kept a clean sheet against Crystal Palace in 13 competitive matches, dating back to a 0-0 draw in an FA Cup 4th round tie in January 2003.
• Liverpool have lost just two of their last 27 home matches.
• Palace have failed to score in 5 of their last 6 Premier League matches.
• Christian Benteke, who spent a year with Liverpool before joining Palace for an initial £27million last August, has scored seven times in eight league and cup appearances against the Reds. In addition to notching five goals against them for Aston Villa, he scored both goals in Palace's 2-1 success at Anfield last season to take his tally as an away player at the ground to 5 - one more than he managed whilst playing there for the Reds.
• Sadio Mané, who has netted five goals in his last seven Premier League games, has had a hand in four goals in five top-flight matches against the Eagles (three goals, one assist).
• Mohamed Salah's strike against Watford last weekend made him the 12th different player to score on his Premier League debut for Liverpool - only Nigel Clough, Milan Baros and Daniel Sturridge have scored on their first two PL apps for the Reds.
17/18 Premier League Form
Liverpool (9th): D
Crystal Palace (19th): L
Vital Liverpool predicts a 3-1 LFC win
So that's what the stats say, what do you think? Let us know your thoughts on the game below or vote in our poll...
Click here to check out the team news
Click here to find out who will be officiating
Follow me on Twitter @superbag
|At Vital Liverpool we're always looking for contributors so if you're an LFC fan who wants to share his or her opinion with the masses, simply email articles/blogs to firstname.lastname@example.org|