Liverpool: Stats Preview 16/17 - Man City (Away)
A selection of the best facts, figures and statistics ahead of Liverpool's Premier League fixture at Manchester City...
As usual ahead of a game involving Liverpool FC, we've been busy trawling the records to bring you all the facts, figures and statistics you need to know.
Sunday afternoon will see the Reds hoping to build on back-to-back victories and leapfrog hosts Manchester City in the Premier League standings in the process. Here's what caught our eye:
• Liverpool and Burnley have contested 205 competitive matches during their respective histories with the Merseysiders leading overall courtesy of 101 wins to 53 defeats and 51 draws (source: 11v11.com).
• Liverpool have won the past four Premier League encounters in a row, scoring 10 goals and keeping clean sheets in the most recent two.
• City have actually failed to keep a clean sheet in each of their last 12 games in all competitions against Liverpool, shipping 23 in total (W2, D4, L6).
• Last season's 4-1 victory at the Etihad was a first in seven visits in the league (D2, L4) for the Merseysiders, although they did also win a League Cup tie there in January 2012.
• The Citizens are looking for their 200th home win in the Premier League. Should they achieve it on Sunday, they will become the 8th team to reach the milestone. 158 of their 199 wins to date have come at the Etihad, with the other 41 earned at their previous home, Maine Road.
• Victory will also see City become the first team in the top six to defeat Liverpool this term. Jürgen Klopp's side are unbeaten in nine at present (W5, D4, L0).
• These two sides have averaged the most distance run in the Premier League this season: Liverpool (117.3km per game) and City (114.8km per game).
• Kop boss Klopp has won five times against his opposite number, Pep Guardiola, in all competitions (including one penalty shootout victory) - no other manager holds more wins over the Spaniard.
• Philippe Coutinho has scored more Premier League goals versus Manchester City than against any other team (4) in the competition.
• Fellow Anfield attacker Sadio Mane has had a hand in four goals in his last three Premier League appearances against City (three goals, one assist).
• Georginio Wijnaldum, who scored the only goal of the game at Anfield on New Year's Eve, is still searching for his first away goal in English football. The Dutchman has netted 16 times in total for Liverpool and previous side Newcastle United, but all have come at either Anfield or St James' Park.
• Sergio Aguero has found the back of the net in all four of his Premier League games versus Liverpool at the Etihad Stadium (four goals).
16/17 Premier League Form
last six matches
Manchester City (3rd): DWWWWD
Liverpool (4th): DLWLWW
Vital Liverpool predicts a 2-2 draw
So that's what the stats say, what do you think? Let us know your thoughts on the game below or vote in our poll...
Click here to check on both club's injuries
Click here to find out who will be officiating
Click here to read former Red Mark Lawrenson's prediction
Follow me on Twitter @superbag
|At Vital Liverpool we're always looking for contributors so if you're an LFC fan who wants to share his or her opinion with the masses, simply email articles/blogs to firstname.lastname@example.org|